Coverage for out-of-area dependents

What you need to know

Do you have dependents who live outside of the Dean Health Plan service area? If your dependents (up to age 26) are college students or children living in communities outside our service area, Dean Health Plan is committed to helping them get the health care and coverage they need when they need it.

This coverage is available under large employer group plans. To find out if you have this coverage, see your member certificate or check with our Customer Care Center at 1-800-279-1301.

Notify us

Be sure to notify us of your out-of-area dependent by completing and submitting an out-of-area dependent form.

If you need services

If your dependent needs urgent or emergency care outside the service area and is unable to get to a plan provider, he or she should go to the nearest urgent care or emergency center for treatment.

It is important to notify Dean as soon as possible by calling the Customer Care Center at 1-800-279-1301.

All follow-up care should be done by a plan provider. If your dependent is out of the area and unable to see a plan provider, call your primary care practitioner for a referral to an out-of-area provider. These services require approval by Dean Health Plan.

If your dependent lives outside the service area – including out of state – use the First Health link to find a provider. See how to find a First Health provider (PDF).