Your privacy

Communicating about your health with your family

Protecting your health information is important to us. We take it very personally. And we comply with the requirements of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), which requires confidentiality of members’ protected and private health and medical information.

But we also know there are times when you might need or want a family member or close friend to contact us about your coverage.

When those situations arise, you’ll need to give us permission to talk with anyone besides you. You can do that either in writing or verbally.

Written permission

Download and submit our authorization for disclosure form and our appointment of representative from our website. Your completed form tells us who we can talk to and about what specific information.

Employer Group plans, ASO, Medicare Advantage, Dean Care Gold and Select, & AON Active Health Exchange member, please use the below form:

authorization for disclosure form

appointment of a representative form

2024 Individual and Marketplace plans, please use the below forms:

authorization for disclosure form

appointment of a representative form 

Verbal permission

You can also give us permission verbally by talking with one of our Member Services representatives. In addition to letting us know if you want them to talk with us about your coverage, prior authorizations or claims, you’ll need to provide your:

  • Full name
  • Complete address, including city, state, and ZIP code
  • Phone
  • Date of birth

Verbal permission isn’t a permanent solution and lasts for just 14 days. For a long-term solution, submit your written permission on our disclosure authorization form. 

Accessing family information online

In certain circumstances, you may not be able to access your children’s information on your member account. For certain services received by children, information is not available to parents. And once your child turns 18, they must have their own individual account.

See related information:

If you're not sure what authorization is required to obtain access to insurance information for a family member or to speak about health insurance on behalf of another person, call Member Services.