1 cup sliced carrot
1 cup sliced zucchini
1/2 cup diced red pepper
1 cup chopped spinach
1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
2 egg substitutes
1 tsp minced fresh basil
1 tsp minced fresh oregano
Fresh ground pepper to taste
2 cups low-fat, low-sodium marinara sauce
9 uncooked lasagna noodles
1. To prepare the vegetables, steam the carrots over boiling water for 2 minutes.
2. Add the zucchini and steam 2 more minutes.
3. Add the red pepper and steam 2 more minutes. Add the spinach and steam 1 more minute.
4. Remove the vegetables from the heat. Combine all remaining ingredients except the marinara sauce and lasagna noodles.
5. To assemble the lasagna, place a little sauce on the bottom of a casserole dish.
6. Place 3 noodles on top of the sauce.
7. Add a layer of vegetables and cover with a layer of the cheese mixture. Add some sauce. Repeat.
8. Add the last layer of noodles and top with some sauce.
9. Refrigerate overnight.
10. The next day, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake the lasagna for 40 minutes until bubbly.
11. Let stand 10 minutes prior to serving. Cut into squares and serve. (If you prefer to bake the lasagna immediately, cook the pasta before layering it.)
Number of Servings: 6
Serving Size: 1 cup
Nutritional Information per Serving
Total Calories: 271
Calories from Fat: 16
Total Fat: 2 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 10 mg
Sodium: 520 mg
Total Carbohydrates: 46 g
Dietary Fiber: 4 g
Sugars: 11 g
Recipe contributed by Dean Dietitian Kim Petershack, R.D., M.S.