Tomato and White Bean Soup
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tsp. olive oil
1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
1 tsp. finely chopped garlic
1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes in juice
2 1/2 cups water
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried cumin
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 can (15 oz) cannellini or Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup roasted red bell pepper*, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup cut green beans (optional)
*Quick tip: Jars of roasted red pepper can be found at well-stocked grocery stores, if you don't plan to roast peppers yourself.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Saute onion on low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add celery, carrot and garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, water, oregano, basil and cumin. Cover and cook over medium heat until vegetables are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add cannellini beans, red bell pepper, and green beans, if using. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook 10 minutes or until greens beans are tender and flavors are blended. Ladle into bowls and serve.
Makes 8 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Carbohydrate 14 grams
Protein 3 grams
Total Fat (0 g saturated fat) <1 gram
Dietary Fiber 3 grams
Sodium 423 mg
Recipe contributed by Dean Dietitian Kim Petershack, RD, MS, CD.