Summer Vegetable Frittata
1 tbsp olive oil
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
4 green onions, sliced
3 cups fresh spinach
5 egg whites
1/4 cup skim milk
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2) Add olive oil to an oven safe, non-stick sauté pan over medium high heat.
3) Add mushrooms and sauté until all of the liquid is evaporated.
4) Add bell pepper, onion and spinach and sauté until vegetables are softened and liquid is evaporated.
5) Whisk eggs, egg whites, milk, pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder and basil in a medium bowl. Pour over vegetables and stir until eggs start to set.
6) Smooth the top of the egg mixture with a spatula. Put in oven to bake for 20 minutes, or until eggs are set.
7) Slide the frittata out of the pan onto a plate and slice into eight wedges.
Nutrition per Serving:
9 gm carbohydrate
11 gm protein
6 gm fat
1.3 gm saturated fat
2 gm fiber
95 mg cholesterol
Recipe provided by Dean Dietitian Cindy Stenavich, MS, RD, CD. Adapted from recipe provided by the American Diabetes Association.