Summer Fruit with Honey-Lemon Dressing
3 cups cantaloupe - peeled, seeded and cubed
1 1/2 cups sweet cherries - pitted and halved
2 cups seedless red or green grapes
2 fresh peaches - peeled and sliced
6 fresh figs, quartered*
4 fresh apricots, quartered and pitted
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves (optional)
* Although figs are a good source of calcium, 2 -3 fresh pears, sliced, can be substituted for the fresh figs.
1 cup water
1/3 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1. Prepare syrup first.
2. Combine the water, honey, vanilla extract and lemon juice in a small saucepan.
3. Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium, and cook until mixture is reduced to 1/4 cup (about 15 minutes).
4. Set aside to cool.
5. Place all the fruit in a large bowl.
6. Pour syrup over fruit and stir gently to coat.
7. Cover and chill 1 hour, stirring occasionally. (Optional: Toss with mint just before serving.)
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1 cup)
Total fat (0.1 gram saturated fat) 0.8 grams
Protein 1.9 gram
Carbohydrate 37.7 grams
Fiber 3.5 grams
Sodium 8 mg
Recipe contributed by Dean Medical Group Dietitian Janice Antoniewicz-Werner, RD, CD, MA.