Southwest Salmon and Sweet Potatoes
*Pair with greens or steamed broccoli for a complete, balanced meal.
4 5oz fresh or frozen skinless salmon fillets (thaw before prep)
12 oz sweet potatoes, scrubbed and cut into ¼ inch slices (about 2 medium sweet potatoes)
2 tsp olive oil
½ tsp dried oregano, crushed
½ tsp ground Ancho chili pepper or chili powder
½ tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground black pepper
Nonstick cooking spray
1 medium orange, peeled and coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Rinse thawed fish and pat dry with paper towels; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, toss sweet potato slices with oil.
- In a small bowl, combine oregano, chile pepper, cumin, salt and black pepper. Sprinkle 1 tsp of oregano mixture evenly on salmon. Add remaining oregano mixture to sweet potatoes and toss to coat.
- Lightly coat one side each of four 18-inch squares of foil with cooking spray. On each square, arrange ¼ of the sweet potato slices and top with fillet. Add orange pieces.
- Fold ends of foil squares to completely enclose, leaving space for steam to build. Place, seam sides up, on a large baking sheet.
- Bake 30-40 minutes or until fish flakes easily and potatoes are soft.
- Serve with steamed greens or broccoli.
Makes 4 servings.
Total Fat: 18 g
Cholesterol: 83 mg
Sodium: 280 mg
Carbohydrate: 21 g
Fiber: 4 g
Protein: 30 g
Diabetes Exchanges: 1.5 starches, 4 lean meats, 1.5 fat. Carb choices: 1.5
Recipe contributed by a Dean Medical Group dietitian.