Pumpkin and Chicken Risotto
8 cups gluten free chicken broth
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 small onion, minced
2 cups short grain Italian rice (such as Arborio)
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 1/2 cups diced pumpkin (or substitute 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree)
8 ounces chopped skinless chicken
pinch of nutmeg
4-5 fresh sage leaves, roughly chopped
Salt to taste
If desired: 1/2 cup grated hard cheese, such as Parmigiano-Reggiano
- In a medium saucepan, bring stock to a simmer.
- Heat olive oil and 1 tablespoon of the butter in a 5-quart heavy saucepan. Add the onion and saute, stirring until very soft but not browned.
- Stir the rice into the onions. Toast the rice stirring constantly about 1 minute (do not brown).
- Stir in the wine and cook until the wine is reduced (about 1-2 minutes).
- Add pumpkin, chicken, nutmeg, sage and 2 cups of the simmering broth.
- Stir the rice and other ingredients until the liquid is almost completely absorbed.
- Continue adding broth, a half-cup at a time, stirring after each addition and allowing the rice to absorb the liquid before adding more.
- After 15 minutes, taste the rice. If rice is too hard then add more broth and continue cooking for another couple minutes. Season to taste.
- When the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed, remove from heat.
- Stir in cheese and remaining butter if desired.
Makes 4 main-course servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Carbohydrate 60 grams
Vitamin A, Daily Value* 70%
Recipe contributed by Dean Dietitian Kim Petershack, RD, MS, CD.