Pear and Celery Salad
2 ripe pears, preferably Red Bartlett or Anjou
4 stalks celery
2 tablespoons fruit vinegar (cider, raspberry etc.)
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup white part-skim cheddar cheese*, cut into small cubes
1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted**
Freshly ground pepper to taste
6 large lettuce leaves
* Use provolone, swiss or aged parmesan cheese if you prefer.
** Nuts can be toasted in a dry pan, over medium heat for several minutes. Stir to toast evenly. Remove from pan immediately when pecans are done toasting.
1. Core and cut the pears into 1/2-inch cubes
2. Remove strings from celery and slice cross-wise into 1/2-inch pieces.
3. Whisk vinegar, honey and salt in a large bowl until blended.
4. Add pears and stir gently to coat.
5. Add the celery, cheese and pecans; stir to combine.
6. Season with pepper.
7. Divide the lettuce leaves among 6 plates and top with a portion of salad. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Makes 6 servings, 1 cup each
Nutritional Information Per Serving
14 g fat (5 g sat, 4 g mono)
20 mg cholesterol
20 g carbohydrate
6 g protein
4 g fiber
244 mg sodium
234 mg potassium
150 mg calcium
Recipe contributed by Dean Dietitian Julie McLaughlin, RD.