Nutty Banana Bars
1/4 cup salted butter, melted
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large whole egg
2 large egg whites
2 cups all-purpose, unbleached flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 large, very-ripe bananas
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Grease and flour a 9" x 13" baking pan.
2. Beat melted butter and sugar with an electric mixer, till smooth.
3. Add egg and egg whites and beat on high speed for 1 minute.
4. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt.
5. Gently fold in the sifted dry ingredients to the beaten butter mixture until just mixed.
6. Peel and mash bananas. Add vanilla extract and stir well.
7. Pour the mashed banana mixture into the batter. Beat until just mixed.
8. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan.
9. Sprinkle walnuts over the top of the batter.
10. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and toothpick comes out clean.
11. When cool, cut into 20 squares.
Makes 20 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Carbohydrate 25 grams
Protein 3 grams
Total Fat (1.5 g saturated) 4 grams
Cholesterol 20 mg
Sodium 125 mg
Recipe contributed by Dean Medical Group Dietitian Janice Antoniewicz-Werner, RD, CD, MA.