Mediterranean Lentil Salad
3/4 cup dried lentils, rinsed and drained
2 cups water and 1/2 tsp salt
1 red bell pepper, roasted and chopped (or use 3-oz canned variety)
2 Tbsp finely minced onion
2 medium cloves garlic, pressed
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint or basil leaves
1/3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt and ground black pepper to taste
1. Combine lentils, two cups lightly salted water in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, uncovered.
2. Reduce heat, and cook at low temperature for about 20 minutes, or until lentils are cooked but still firm. When done, pour into colander. Lightly rinse under cold water and let stand to drain excess water.
3. Place cooled lentils in a bowl. Add chopped roasted bell pepper, onion, garlic, mint/basil, walnuts, balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Stir to mix well.
4. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Marinade for at least one hour.
6. Just before serving, add lemon juice and mix well. Adjust seasoning if needed, and serve.
Makes 4 servings.
Folate per serving: 208.43 mcg (52.1% DV)
Recipe contributed by Dean Medical Group Dietitian Julie McLaughlin, RD.