Low-Calorie Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins
1/2 whole grain flour
1 3/4 cup uncooked oatmeal
5 Tbsp. Splenda Brown Sugar blend
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup skim milk
1/4 cup Egg Beaters
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups fresh (or thawed frozen) blueberries
1 Tbsp. Splenda
1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a muffin pan with 12 paper baking cups.
2. Combine flour, oatmeal, Splenda Brown Sugar blend, baking powder, and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Mix well.
3. Combine vanilla extract, skim milk, Egg Beaters, and applesauce in a small mixing bowl. Mix well.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and beat until ingredients are well blended.
5. Gently fold in blueberries.
6. Pour an equal amount of batter into each cup until 2/3-3/4 full.
7. Combine Splenda and ground cinnamon and sprinkle over muffins.
8. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned and a toothpick comes out dry.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1 Muffin)
0.7 grams total fat
0 grams saturated fat
0.3 grams polyunsaturated fat
0.3 grams monounsaturated fat
0.1 gram cholesterol
230 mg sodium
17.5 grams carbohydrate
2.1 grams fiber
6.3 grams sugar
1.8 grams protein
Recipe contributed by Dean Medical Group Dietitian Melissa Phillips, MS, RD, DC, CDE.