Easy Cheesy Broccoli Calzone
16 ounces prepared pizza dough*
1/2 cup pizza sauce
2 cups shredded part-skim Mozzarella
4 cups cooked, chopped broccoli, drained
1 tablespoon butter, melted
*Store-bought dough is quick and easy, but if you make your own bread, use your favorite 1 lb pizza dough recipe. For an extra boost of fiber, add some wheat germ or use whole wheat dough instead of white.
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a baking sheet.
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to form a 9"x14" rectangle, about 1/4" thick. Transfer to prepared baking sheet.
4. Spread pizza sauce over half of the dough, lengthwise.
5. Sprinkle cheese over entire piece of dough to within half inch of all of the edges.
6. Layer broccoli on the half with the pizza sauce.
7. Fold dough in half over the broccoli filling. Seal edges of the calzone by pressing with the tines of a fork. Prick top. Brush top with melted butter.
8. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until crust is lightly browned. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before cutting.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Carbohydrate 8 grams
Protein 37 grams
Total Fat (5 g saturated) 8 grams
Cholesterol 85 mg
Calcium, Daily Value* 24%
* Based on 2,000 calorie diet
Recipe contributed by Dean Dietitian Janice Antoniewicz-Werner, RD, CD, MA.