Cornmeal Crusted Tilapia with Mango Salsa
1 mango, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (some for salsa, extra for garnish)
1/2 cup diced red onion
1 lime - juice only
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup fat free (skim) milk
4 tilapia filets (4 ounces each)
Non stick cooking spray
- Prepare salsa - combine mango, 1/3 cup cilantro, onion and lime juice in medium bowl. Chill in refrigerator while preparing tilapia.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In shallow dish, combine cornmeal, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and black pepper. Put milk in a separate shallow dish.
- Dip tilapia in milk and then in the cornmeal mixture. Coat both sides of the tilapia.
- Place on baking sheet coated with non stick cooking spray. Spray fish lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake 6 minutes, and turn. Bake an additional 6 minutes, or until fish flakes with a fork.
- Remove from oven and top with mango salsa. Garnish with cilantro if desire.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information per Serving
Calories - 207
Total fat - 3 gm
Saturated fat - 1 gm
Protein - 25 gm
Carbohydrate - 23 gm
Cholesterol - 55 gm
Dietary fiber - 2 gm
Sodium - 74 mg
Recipe contributed by Dean dietitian Cyntha Stenavich, RD.