Chicken Soup with Yellow Lentils
1 whole chicken, cut up (marinate overnight in lemon juice if you have time) OR substitute 2 lbs of chicken breasts (skinless/boneless)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can crushed tomatoes
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
½ cup yellow lentils, soaked overnight
4 cups chicken stock
½ head medium cabbage, chopped (CT), or ½ lb. spinach (PT)
4 cloves garlic, minced
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add olive oil. Place chicken in the pot and brown each side for 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Place onions in the pot and sauté for 4–5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and sauté for another 5–10 minutes. Add both vinegars, lentils, stock, and chicken. Simmer for 1 hour on low heat.
- Remove chicken and take off skin and bones. Then return the chicken to the pot.
- Add the cabbage and cook for 15 minutes. Add the garlic and spinach (if using). Cook for another 10 minutes.
- Serve over wild rice or alone with parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.
Makes 6 servings.
Total Fat: 10 grams
Carbohydrate: 25 grams
Protein: 25 grams
Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean protein, 1.5 starches, 1 fat
Carb choices: 1.5 carbs
Recipe contributed by a Dean dietitian.