Chicken Noodle Soup with Winter Squash
12 cups of water
1/4 cup chicken bouillon mix (a low sodium version can be used)
4 oz chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 red onion, chopped
1 whole bulb of garlic, chopped
1 winter squash (acorn, butternut, buttercup), cut in half, remove seeds, then cut into large chunks
16 oz of whole grain pasta, any kind
- Bring water and bouillon to a boil.
- Add chicken, onion, garlic, and squash. Return to boil; reduce heat and cover.
- Cook until squash is tender. Remove squash (it will now be easier to remove the squash from the peel), remove pulp from peel, cut into chunks and return to pot. Discard peel.
- Cook for an hour, stirring occasionally until most of the squash and onion and garlic are of a very soft consistency.
- Add pasta and cook until desired texture is achieved.
Makes 15 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Total Fat: 1 gram
Saturated Fat: 0 grams
Total Carbohydrate: 27 grams
Fiber: 4 grams
Protein: 11 grams
Recipe contributed by Dean Medical Group Dietitian Melissa Phillips, RD.