Butternut Squash Soup
1 butternut squash, peeled
2 tablespoons light margarine or canola oil
Salt and pepper
1 onion, chopped
6 cups chicken stock (Optional: low sodium chicken stock)
1. Cut squash into 1-inch chunks; add margarine or canola oil.
2. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 8 minutes.
3. Add squash and stock.
4. Bring to a simmer and cook until squash is tender.
5. Remove squash chunks with slotted spoon and place in a blender and puree.
6. Return blended squash to pot.
7. Stir and season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Recipe contributed by Dean Dietitian Melissa Phillips, MS, RD, CD, CDE.