Hot (and Healthy) Holiday Drinks
Dean Dietitian Cindy Stenavich offers up healthy holiday drink recipes.
Heading into a winter wonderland often sounds a lot better if you’ve got a peppermint hot chocolate warming your hands. But when you layer those delicious hot drinks onto the calorie-rich office treats, holiday party hors d’oeurves and big family meals, they add a few extra pounds, too.
With a few small changes, your next party punch can leave everyone feeling merry without the extra weight. Just try one of these healthy holiday drink recipes, as suggested by Dean Dietitian Cindy Stenavich:
- Spiced Hot Cider: Perfect for a post-sledding celebration or caroling around your neighborhood. This spiced hot cider recipe is fat-free and can be made in both alcoholic and non-alcoholic versions.
- Sleigh Driver: This fruit-filled non-alcoholic punch is perfect for the next family party. With delicious pear, cranberry and vanilla flavors, it’s sure to be a hit without adding on extra calories.
- Pomegranate Champagne Punch: Perfect for ringing in the New Year with style! This sparkling concoction will give your holiday gathering a little extra pizzazz without added sugar and calories. Mix up some of the non-alcoholic version to give even your youngest party guests something special to toast at midnight.
- Hot Chocolate: Who says hot chocolate has to be filled with fat and empty calories? Try this delicious version that comes with a little extra cinnamon kick!
- Eggnog: Try this low-fat eggnog recipe for a festive drink without all the sugar and extra calories.
Do you have a favorite healthy holiday drink recipe? Share your favorite version in the comments!