DIY Meals for Kids
Back-to-school breakfasts and lunches they can make themselves
Chances are that your back-to-school to-do list is a long one. Check off a big item with a little help…from your kids. Prepping weekday breakfasts and school lunches can throw a wrench in your routine, but with a little planning, the kids can easily take on most of the job (so you can focus on everything else!).
Beat the Breakfast Rush
Mornings are busy enough…why not empower the kids to make their own morning meal so that you don’t have to be in three places at once? Here are some kid-friendly breakfast ideas:
- Cereal: Yes, there is a way to make a meal of cereal even easier. Kids can prepare this simple breakfast themselves if you break the large bag into individual serving sizes. Pour the single scoops into small plastic bags that kids can easily grab and pour in the morning.
- Fruit Parfaits: Make sure that all the ingredients (including a variety of precut fruit like strawberries and melon) are ready and let them do the rest. This customizable breakfast is ideal for families with multiple kids who like different things.
- Nutty Banana Bars: Bake a batch over the weekend so that kids can dig in for breakfast or after school. Pair with a banana or apple for a nutritious and tasty meal that even little kids can grab without help.
Leave Lunch to Them
You’d be amazed by how much time you’ll save in the morning by having the kids pack their own lunch the night before. Try these quick picks for lunches they’ll love (and love to make themselves):
- Wacky Veggie Wraps: These wraps are customizable based on your kids’ favorite veggies, and they’re easy for kids to create independently.
- Edi’s Apple Sandwich: If you slice up some apples in advance, kids can easily assemble these tasty sandwiches.
- Pack-it-in Pita Pocket: With access to the right ingredients, pita pockets make it easy for kids to create a healthy lunch. Make sure they have some precut veggies, lunchmeat and cheese, then let them take care of the rest!
Do your kids help with meal prep? What are the recipes they’ve mastered? Tell us in the comments below!