Take the Next Step
"I have tried to lose weight on my own for 6 years. This is the first time I have lost weight this quickly. I feel fantastic and the support from the team is great!"
- Ann, Madison
If you are considering a comprehensive weight loss program or bariatric surgery, our goal at Dean Comprehensive Weight Management is to help guide you while you make these important decisions on your path to a healthy new life.
Listed below are the steps you will take when working with Dean Comprehensive Weight Management. Rest assured that we'll be with you every step of the way.
Attend a Free Informational Session
Your first step is attending one of our free weight loss information sessions.
We offer three options:
Before attending a session, make sure to visit our surgical options and non-surgical options pages for details about each of our programs.
Consider Weight Loss Surgery
You may be wondering if you are a candidate for weight loss surgery, or your physician may have recommended that you consider this option. This is a major life decision, and not everyone qualifies as a candidate for bariatric care.
If your answer is "yes" to most or all of the following questions, then you are a possible candidate:
- Have I tried and failed to lose and keep off significant weight loss?
- Am I 100 pounds or more over my ideal body weight? (Use our Ideal Body Weight Calculator on the right to determine this.)
- Is my Body Mass Index (BMI) 40 or higher? (Use our BMI Calculator on the right to determine this.)
- Do I have medical conditions — diabetes, heart problems, back or knee pain, breathing difficulties, sleep apnea — that are obesity-related risk factors?
- Do I fully understand and accept the risks of surgery?
- Do I have realistic expectations of what the weight loss will mean to me?
- Am I committed maintaining a healthy lifestyle for the rest of my life?
- Do I have supportive friends and family?
We are sharing this information for those who are considering weight loss surgery — know that we offer many non-surgical options for weight loss as well. If you would like to consider weight loss surgery, our specialists will help you determine whether you're a candidate and analyze your options with you.
Complete the Assessment Forms
If you've decided to partner with Comprehensive Weight Management on a non-surgical or surgical option for weight loss, the next step is to fill out the following two forms:
You can either bring the completed forms to the informational session you will be attending, or send them after the session to us in one of the following ways:
Mail: Dean Clinic – Fish Hatchery
1313 Fish Hatchery Rd.
Madison, WI 53715
Fax: (608) 252-8283
Make an Appointment to Discuss Your Options
After you have attended an informational session and submitted your completed forms, please call (608) 824-4457 or toll free (800) 808-1190 to schedule an individual appointment to discuss the best treatment options available to you.
Begin Your Journey
Note that most of our programs have prerequisites, which are outlined on the non-surgical options and surgical options pages. We will go into more details about these during your initial appointment.
If you are working toward bariatric surgery, you will need to complete several evaluation steps before being approved for surgery:
- Nutrition and Psychiatric Evaluation — You will meet with our bariatric nutritionist and our psychiatrist as part of the routine evaluation process.
- Other Health Evaluations — We may request additional evaluations as well, such as a pulmonary evaluation for sleep apnea or a cardiac evaluation.
- Physician Referral — If you have already seen a primary physician regarding the need for this surgery, we will request that you obtain a letter of recommendation for your medical record.
- Diet History — A letter from you summarizing your diet history will be required.
- Lifestyle Changes and Support Group Participation — You may be required to start a diet and exercise program and to attend a weight loss surgery support group meeting.
- Insurance Review — We will work closely with you to finalize insurance and payment details. For more information, please see the Financial Information page.
We will work with you closely throughout this process.
Still Have Questions?
If you have questions about any part of this process, please do not hesitate to contact us at (608) 824-4457 or toll-free at (800) 808-1190.