Dean Vulvar Clinic
Important Things to Know about Vulvar Pain
- Vulvar pain is usually not associated with malignancy.
- Vulvar pain is not sexually transmitted.
- Vulvar pain is not due to poor hygiene.
- Improvement can take weeks to months.
- Treatment setbacks may occur; they are not necessarily the fault of you or your provider.
- The pain is not in your head; it is in your vulva.
- We understand that chronic pain is exhausting and can be demoralizing.
- You do need support. If friends and family are not enough, there are options.
- If you are in a relationship, both of you are affected by this condition.
Couple counseling may be beneficial.
- It is OK to seek information on your own. The more you know about this disease the more control you have.
- Frequently patients become depressed. There are treatment options. We may suggest antidepressants during your treatment. We do not think this is in your head, but chronic pain can be devastating.
Dean Clinic offers this unique clinic specializing in the evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment of vulvo-vaginal pain (vulvodynia).
The Vulvar Clinic is based within the OB/GYN department at Dean Clinic - West on Madison's west side. Consultations are also available on a limited schedule at Dean Clinic - East.
Our specialist takes your vaginal pain and discomfort seriously. Vulvodynia is a very real condition that can effect 1 in 8 women over a lifetime. There are numerous causes of this condition, and most are treatable.
As there may be more than one cause for the pain, we use a multidisciplinary approach for treatment. The Vulvar Clinic is designed to give women options, resources, and comfort from their pain.
Symptoms and Conditions Treated
If you suffer from the following symptoms you may benefit from a consultation.
- Vulvovaginal pain
This can include rawness, stretching and throbbing pain
- Burning or itching of the vagina or vulva (vulvar irritation)
- Painful intercourse
- Painful urination
- Vaginal dryness
- Urethritis (inflammation of the urethra)
- Inability to place a tampon or have sexual relations
These are just a few of the conditions that we treat:
- Lichen Sclerosus
- Lichen Planus
- Atrophic Vaginitis
- Chronic Yeast infections
- Chronic Bacterial Vaginitis
- Lichen Simplex Chronicus
Appointments can be made by your doctor or by self-referral. To make an appointment, call (608) 294-6246 to ask for a Vulvar Clinic consultation at one of the following locations: