Our Sleep Center
Visit the SSM Health Sleep Center page for detailed information about sleep studies, a map to the location and other information.
Our Sleep Medicine specialists diagnose and treat a full spectrum of sleep disorders. Sleep Medicine specialists are specialty-trained in sleep disorders. Consultations with sleep specialists are conducted in-clinic during the day.
In-depth tests (referred to as a sleep study or polysomnogram) may be scheduled at an SSM Health Sleep Center. In Madison, our sleep medicine physicians are based at the SSM Health Sleep Center, a nationally accredited facility.
You may be referred to a sleep specialist for evaluation if you have:
- Breathing difficulties while sleeping
- Have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep (insomnia)
- Experience chronic daytime sleepiness
- Have nighttime leg restlessness
- Are experiencing other sleep-related issues
About Sleep Studies
For a sleep study, you will have an overnight stay at the SSM Health Sleep Center. Using state-of-the-art equipment, your brain waves, eye movements, breathing patterns, heart rate and rhythm, oxygen levels in the blood, and leg movements are measured and recorded throughout the night.
The test is painless, and the measurements are recorded using electrodes placed on your skin. Technicians will monitor your sleep all night and gather data. This information is reviewed in detail by a sleep specialist to determine if you have a sleep disorder.
For more information about sleep studies, please visit SSM Health Sleep Center.
Sleep Medicine Special Interests
- Sleep apnea and CPAP therapy
- Restless legs syndrome (RLS) / Periodic Limb Movements
- Insomnia (inability to fall asleep or stay asleep)
- Narcolepsy (sudden, uncontrollable urges to sleep)
- Hypersomnia (excessive daytime sleepiness or prolonged nighttime sleep)
- Sleepwalking and sleeptalking
- REM Behavior Disorder
- Nightmares and night terrors
- Jet lag and circadian rhythms