Our Infectious Disease (ID) specialists provide comprehensive care for patients needing diagnosis and medical treatment for advanced or challenging infections of the body, including the heart, brain, lungs, bowel, bones and other organs. They provide care at multiple clinic locations.
Our specialists are trained in Internal Medicine, and have additional expertise in the diagnosis and treatment of infections caused by bacteria, viruses, fungi and parasites. Their expertise includes specialized knowledge in:
- Immunology — How the body fights infection
- Epidemiology — How infections spread
- Infection control
- The use of antibiotics and their possible adverse effects
- HIV/AIDS Care — Our ID Department specializes in care of patients with HIV and AIDS. Dr. James Levin is credentialed as an HIV Specialist through the American Academy of HIV Medicine and Dr. Garry Jean-Louis has special HIV/AIDS credentials through the NY state Health Department.
- Travel Medicine — Our Infectious Disease physicians oversee our Travel Medicine program for health-related issues that arise from international travel. Patients are provided country-specific information on disease risk and travel advisories, pre-trip health and safety counseling, vaccinations, and prescriptions for prevention or treatment of travel-related illness and disease.
- Hepatitis Clinical Research — The ID Department specializes in care for patients with hepatitis B and hepatitis C. Our physicians also actively participate in national medical research studies, including early clinical development drug trials for Hepatitis C and other diseases.
- Infusion Therapy/Wound Care Clinics — Our ID Department offers a full-service outpatient clinic for IV infusion therapy and a wound care clinic for infection treatment.
Our infectious disease specialists also provide consultation and patient care for conditions related to:
- Antimicrobial resistance
- Community-acquired pneumonia
- Diabetic foot infections
- Food borne disease
- Genitourinary tract infections
- HIV, hepatitis B/C and other viral diseases
- Lyme disease
- Nosocomial pneumonia
- Organ abscess
- Orthopedic infections
- Post-operative infection
- Respiratory tract infections
- Skin and soft tissue infection
- Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)
- Systemic/Invasive fungal infections