PPO Plan Member FAQs, Dean Health Plan

Skip to Content

PPO Plan member frequently asked questions

May I use any provider I choose under this plan?

Yes, you can choose to see any provider. However, prior authorization or prior authorization is required for some services as indicated in the Certificate and your Schedule of Benefits.

Use of out-of-network providers for some services may not be a covered benefit or may be subject to deductibles, co-insurance or copayments. The level of benefit is determined by whether you use an in-network provider or an out-of-network provider.

Back to Top

How do I obtain prior authorization?

You may obtain prior authorization by contacting our Customer Care Center at (800) 279-1301 or (608) 836-1400.

Back to Top

May I use in-network providers for some services and out-of-network providers for others?

Yes, however, your coverage may change as you change providers, as explained in your Schedule of Benefits. Prior authorization and prior authorization requirements may apply.

Back to Top

Will I incur any liability if I fail to obtain prior authorization when it is required?

Yes, a penalty may be applied if you fail to obtain a prior authorization when it is required.

Back to Top

Whose responsibility is it to provide the medical information that Dean Health Plan requires under the prior authorization?

It is your responsibility to make sure prior authorization is completed, and you may need to coordinate with the provider. Any fees incurred due to release of this information are also the member's responsibility.

Back to Top

When should prior authorization take place?

To ensure there is time to complete the prior authorization of your services, , contact our Customer Care Center at (800) 279-1301 as soon as you are aware of a planned service. This includes inpatient and outpatient admissions to hospitals, alcohol and drug abuse residential centers, skilled nursing facilities and licensed ambulatory surgery centers.

Be prepared to give information like your member number and the nature of your need for care.

Back to Top

What about emergency admissions?

In the case of an urgent/emergency admission, you must notify our Customer Care Center by the next business day for prior authorization approval. You can reach the Customer Care Center at (800) 279-1301.

Back to Top

What should be done in cases of maternity?

Our Customer Care Center must be notified when you are admitted for your maternity stay by the next business day following your admission regardless of whether the delivery of your baby has taken place or not (e.g., pre-term labor). You can reach the Customer Care Center at (800) 279-1301.

Back to Top

Who is responsible for any amount charged by an out-of-network provider that exceeds the maximum allowable fee?

Payments for charges submitted by out-of-network providers will be limited to the maximum allowable fee as defined in the Glossary section of your Member Certificate. Any amount charged that exceeds this limitation is the member's responsibility.

Back to Top

If I have an outpatient emergency and Dean Health Plan is closed and prior authorization is not possible, when must I notify the Managed Care division?

In most cases you will not need to notify our Managed Care division of emergency outpatient care in advance. If you have an emergency procedure or admission that requires approval, you are required to contact us the next business day.

Follow-up treatment after emergency care is also subject to the prior authorization requirements. Managed Care can be reached at (800) 279-1301.

Back to Top

Do I need to decide at the time of enrollment whether I use in-network providers or can I decide this at a later date?

No, you are not required to choose a network provider at the time of enrollment. It is your option at any time to choose in-network or out-of-network providers. Note: there is a higher cost to you for out-of-network providers.

Back to Top

What are my responsibilities if my in-network provider refers me to an out-of-network provider? Do I need to obtain a written referral?

This plan does not require referrals. If you see an out-of-network provider, the out-of-network provider benefits will apply. However, certain types of care need prior authorization from our Managed Care division. Please refer to your Schedule of Benefits.

Back to Top

Which deductible or copayment applies if an in-network provider refers me to an out-of-network provider?

The deductible or copayment/co-insurance that you pay is determined by the participation of the provider you see. Please refer to your Schedule of Benefits.

Back to Top

Who is a qualified dependent?

A qualified dependent may be:

  • a legally married spouse
  • a biological child from birth, adopted child, child placed for adoption, or stepchild to the maximum dependent age limitation selected by your employer
  • a legal ward residing with you in a parent-child relationship who is dependent on you for at least 50 percent of support and maintenance
  • a grandchild, until the eligible parent dependent child reaches age 18

Back to Top

Do copayments apply separately to the in-network and out-of-network maximum out-of-pocket expenses?

Yes. Copayments apply to in-network maximum out-of-pocket expenses separately.

Back to Top

How will I know whether or not the deductible and/or maximum out-of-pocket expense on my plan has been met?

If there is any liability on your part, you will receive an Explanation of Benefits (EOB) which will explain what has been paid by Dean Health Plan and what amount of the claim you are responsible for. The EOB will also indicate how much of the deductible and maximum out-of-pocket expense has been satisfied.

Back to Top

If I receive a denial for certain services, what can I do?

You have the right to appeal Dean Health Plan's decision. Please see the Complaint, Appeal and Grievance Procedure section of your Member Certificate for additional information.

Back to Top

If I lose coverage through my employer due to termination of employment, divorce, dependent reaching limiting age or for other reasons, how can I continue to receive coverage?

You may meet the eligibility guidelines of the State or Federal (COBRA) laws for group continuation. Contact your employer, and they will be able to help you determine if you are eligible. You may also contact the Customer Care Center at (800) 279-1301 for assistance.

Back to Top



  • Connect with us on Facebook
  • See us on YouTube
  • Connect with us on LinkedIn

© 2017 Dean Health Plan, Inc. | All rights reserved.

A Member of SSM Health

SSM Health and the infinity symbol are trademarks of SSM Health and its affiliates.