Skip to Content

Dean Health Plan Employer Group FAQs

HSA FAQs Downloadable PDF

How long does it take to enroll an employee and to issue identification cards once the application is received?

If the application is complete, the employee will be enrolled and an ID card mailed to the employee's address within two to three weeks from the time we receive the application. If the application is incomplete, enrollment will be delayed until we receive the necessary information.

Back to Top

As an employer, what can I do to help avoid enrollment delays for my employees?

Try to review each application to see if it is complete before sending it to Dean Health Plan. Please pay special attention to the following areas:

  • Hire date(s)
  • Social security number(s)
  • Birth date(s)
  • Primary care provider(s) election (Not required for Point Plans)
  • Signature and date
  • Phone number

The phone number isn't required, but it is helpful since Dean Health Plan makes welcome calls to new members to explain benefits and answer any questions. Remember, applications that are not signed or dated will be returned to the employee. This may delay the application unnecessarily, so please double-check this section before sending applications to us.

Back to Top

What happens if the employee does not receive his/her identification cards prior to the effective date of coverage?

The "yellow employee copy" of the Group Application Form may be used as a temporary identification card until he/she receives the ID card. Temporary ID cards are also available by logging in to DeanConnect. Providers can also call Dean Health Plan’s Customer Care Center to verify the coverage date of the employee/dependent.

Please note that the employee's social security number is used as the identification number for the employee and his/her dependents. Your employees should know this in case the provider asks for his/her member number to verify coverage.

Back to Top

What is a Special Enrollment or Qualifying Event?

A special enrollment or qualifying event is an event that allows an employee to enroll in the insurance plan after having initially waived the coverage, or allows an employee to add a spouse or dependent(s) to his/her plan. Qualifying events are sometimes referred to as "life events" or "family status changes."

Back to Top

Who is eligible to enroll when a "loss of other coverage" event occurs?

When a loss of other coverage occurs, only the employee and/or dependents who were covered by this other group plan immediately prior to the termination of the coverage are eligible to apply for coverage by Dean Health Plan. The employee may not add any dependents who were not previously covered under the prior health plan.

Back to Top

When does coverage end for the employee?

You may terminate an employee's coverage with Dean Health Plan by:

  • Mailing or faxing a memo to the Enrollment Department with the employee's name, social security number and date of termination.
  • Making a note on the monthly billing statement.
  • Having the employee complete a Group Application Form and send it to our Enrollment Department. However, Dean Health Plan does not require this form to terminate an employee's coverage.

Back to Top

Does Dean Health Plan allow retroactive terminations?

Dean Health Plan will refund or adjust premiums for retroactive terminations for up to three months. The month the request for retroactive termination is received is counted as one month.

Back to Top

When should changes be received by Dean Health Plan to have them noted on the next billing statement?

We prepare bills at the end of the month before the mailing date, which is about the second week of the month prior to the coverage month. Therefore, for changes to be processed and noted on the next billing statement, they must be received by Dean Health Plan no later than the 20th of the month prior to the mailing date.

For example: if changes are received by February 20, they will be noted on the April bill, which is mailed approximately the second week of March.

Back to Top

As an employer, how much do I need to know about group continuation?

As the employer, you are responsible for notifying your employees and their dependents in writing of their rights to COBRA and Wisconsin continuation coverage. Therefore, you must be familiar with which events are qualifying events for group continuation to be offered to an employee or dependent.

In addition, if your employee or dependent chooses to continue coverage, you need written documentation of their decision to continue. Therefore, you need to know the time guidelines that an employee has to elect group continuation.

Finally, you are responsible for collecting the monthly premium payments from the employee or dependent and then making payment to Dean Health Plan. Again, you will need to know the guidelines regarding when payments can be required from the employee or dependent and when a person can be terminated for nonpayment of premium.

Back to Top

Whose responsibility is it to notify the employee or dependent when the group continuation coverage will end and their options after it ends?

Dean Health Plan will notify the employee/spouse/dependent by sending a letter several months prior to the end of their group continuation coverage. The letter states when the coverage will end and the options for purchasing conversion health insurance available to the employee/spouse/ dependent through Dean Health Plan.

You can forward any questions regarding plan options after group continuation to the Dean Health Plan Customer Care Center.

Back to Top

When are renewal rates prepared?

Sixty days before your anniversary date, you will receive your renewal package. For example, if your anniversary date is January 1, we will mail or deliver your renewal package by November 1. This package includes your renewal rates, benefit changes sheet and plan documents such as the Health Service Agreement, Member Certificate and Schedule of Benefits for your upcoming contract year.

If you need the renewal prior to the 60-day mailing date for budgeting purposes, please note this on the RRF or call your Account Manager.

Back to Top

If, as an employer, we have questions concerning the Medicare eligibility of our employees, who should we contact?

Call the Dean Health Plan Medicare Marketing representative at (608) 827-4189, or toll free at (800) 356-7344, extension 4189. You may also be able to determine answers by contacting your Marketing Account Manager.

Back to Top

What if I still have questions?

Dean Health Plan's Customer Care Center is available to answer your questions Monday through Thursday, from 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Just call (800) 279-1301. If you prefer, you may also call your Account Manager.

Back to Top