National Healthcare Decisions Day events coming up
Have you ever thought about what would happen if you became ill and couldn’t speak for yourself? Who would you want to speak for you?
National Healthcare Decisions Day is Saturday, April 16, a day set aside to educate the public and providers about the importance of advance care planning. SSM Health will observe the day Thursday, April 14, when employees have the opportunity to make their wishes known by completing Health Care Power of Attorney (HCPOA) forms at several Wisconsin Region locations.
The HCPOA document allows you to appoint a family member or friend 18 years or older to make health care decisions for you if two doctors determine you can no longer decide for yourself.
Why is this important? Wisconsin is not a “next of kin” or “family consent” state. This means that if you don’t have a HCPOA naming a decision maker, and if you become incapacitated, your family may have to pursue legal guardianship through the courts to make medical decisions for you.
Tables will be set up Thursday, April 14, at seven locations for staff, physicians, volunteers and visitors to complete Healthcare Power of Attorney forms. Social workers will be available at each site to answer questions, provide information and help with filling out the document. No registration is necessary.
- St. Mary’s Hospital, Madison: 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Kiosk area
- St. Clare Hospital, Baraboo: 9 a.m. to noon, Main Lobby
- St. Mary’s Janesville Hospital: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Town Square Lobby
- Dean Clinic – East: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Amethyst Room
- Dean Clinic – Fish Hatchery: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Team Site Meeting Room
- Dean Clinic – West: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Prairie Room
- Dean & St. Mary’s Outpatient Center: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., third floor Neurology Family Meeting Room